This cantonment town was founded in 1818 by Sir John Malcolm as a result of the Treaty of Mandsaur between the English and the Holkars who ruled Indore. Sir John Malcolm's forces had defeated the Holkars at the Battle of Mahidpur in 1818. It was after this battle that the capital of the Holkars shifted from the town of Maheshwar on the banks of the Narmada to Indore.
Mhow used to be the headquarters of the 5th Division of the Southern Army during the British Raj. Today this small town is associated with the Indian Army and with Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, a political leader who was born here.
Mhow and the Indian Army are inseparable. The Army has been here since 1818. Till World War II Mhow used to be the headquarters of the 5th Division of the Southern Army. According to local legend Winston Churchill had also spent a few months in Mhow when he was a subaltern serving with his regiment in India( A local Shop still Boasts of him as its customer). The house on the Mall where he is supposed to have lived has gradually crumbled due to neglect and age. It has been pulled down and a jogger's park has been built on its grounds by Infantry School Mhow.
Mhow is synonymous with the Indian Army and has been a training centre of the Army since the British days. It houses three premier training institutions:
(i) The Infantry School - the alma mater of the Indian Infantry which is the spearhead of the Indian Army
(ii) The Military College of Telecommunication Engineering (MCTE), the alma mater of the Corps of Signals. The Corps of Signals is like the nervous system of the Indian Army as it is responsible for communications. MCTE (then School of Signals) was the first training institution in Mhow.
(iii) The Army War College (formerly known as the College of Combat).
These three institutions together form the backbone of Mhow.
Each of these institutions is headed by a Lieutenant General.
* MCTE Mhow (the first training institution in Mhow):)
94-A AYODHYAPURI COLONY MHOW
INDORE MADHYA PRADESH 453441 INDIA